Monday 15 December 2008

'You must unlearn what you have learned.' [Yoda]

I suppose that I am a product of the modern Internet age, for when I am faced with something new I always have to go and...
... that's right wiki it. (well the logos a really big clue)
Come on! It's what we all do.
At first I couldn't find it on wikipedia when searching for 'Jedi,' 'religion' & 'faith'. I started to hyperventilate, how could wikipedia not have an entry on the Jedi faith? It knows everything, it's a god of knowledge...hmm...now that would have been interesting a blog on wikipedia - the god of knowledge, I feel a sequel blog coming on...but at a later date.
Anyway don't worry kids I found the entry I was looking for under 'Jediism'.

According to wikipedia 'Jediism' is a 'non-theistic new religious movement based upon the philosophical and spiritual ideas of the Jedi as depicted in Star Wars media.
The real-world Jedi assert the existence of the Force, and advocate adherence to the Jedi code. According to recent censuses in some English-speaking countries, over 500,000 people declared their religion as Jedi, and at least three Jedi churches exist in the USA and the UK.' (Holyhead Jedi Church, Temple of the Jedi Order, and the Jedi Praxeum.)
The wikipedia entry then goes on to list the Jediism philosophy - the Force and the side of the Force vs. the Potentium theory, and the controversy that Jediism has had with censuses, the media and politics.

All the facts of 'Jediism' is listed here, but what do you as readers of this blog make of the wikipedia entry?
The wikipedia entry appears to be quite short and basic, maybe someone whose reading this and is a practicing Jedi could add to it.

No comments: